Thursday, March 11, 2010

To Emulate Merlin

I passed my 70th. birthday just over a year ago.
Since then I have thought long and hard about the inevitabilities of life after 70, and I don't like what I see. I have had ample opportunities to visit the land of 70+: I have no wish to go there.
Accordingly, I have made an important decision.

I will go no further forward in time. From now on I am living in reverse time. My recent birthday was my 69th., not my 71st. And next year I shall be 68.
I plan to continue life in reverse time until I am 32, when I shall switch to forward time again.

By so doing I am emulating Merlin, the great wizard, tutor of the young King Arthur [the reference is to The Sword in the Stone by TH White - a great book].
Merlin also lived backwards in time. He was apt to be confused, because he remembered the future well, but had difficulty foretelling the past.

So, I send this message to family, friends and all whom it may concern. Mark well my new life trajectory, and adjust your expectations of me as necessary.

There is just one problem. How do I explain this to my pension providers?

No comments: